Unit S.M.A.R.T. Goal:
Students will attain an 80% passage rate in 3 of 4 trials
Students will be able to explain the following key concepts:
- Energy in chemical Processes
- Systems and system models
Students will answer this question before leaving class today.
- Learn from mistakes
- Personal electronics only when appropriate
- Magnetic properties
Course Digital Resources:
Link -> Online StopWatch
Task #1 – (How Magnets are Made)(Pg. 17)
YouTube Link -> How it’s Made: Magnets
Task #2 – (How to Use a Compass)(Pg.21)
YouTube Link -> How does a compass work?
Task #3 – (Geographic North)(Pg.23)
Task #4 – (Animals and Magnetic Fields)(Pg. 25)
SAW Article #1 -> Animal Magnetism
SAW Article #2 -> NOVA Animal Magnetism
Task #5 – (Unit 10 Essay on Magnetism)
Topics to Choose from:
- The development of machines using magnets (Ex: Maglev trains)
- Magnetic History (Ex: The scientists who researched magnetism and their contributions)
- The future of magnets
- Magnetoreception (Animals ability to sense magnetic fields)
Typed – 5 paragraph. 2 Pages. Double spaced. 12 font. 1″ margins.
Handwritten – 5 paragraph. 2 pages front and back.
Due Date: (Tuesday) 4-17-2018
Advice on Writing:
- DO NOT use “I”. We know it is you, you are the author.
- Many don’t like to do it, but OUTLINE first.
- Last paragraph, in anything, is essentially “Why should the reader care?”
Review what we went over today. Click HERE to be take to the Unit 10 class notes.
Next Generation Science Standards:
HS-PS 2-5 Plan and conduct an investigation to provide evidence than an electric current can produce a magnetic field and that a changing magnetic field can produce an electric current
HS-PS 3-5 Develop and use a model of two objects interacting through electric or magnetic fields to illustrate the forces between objects and the changes in energy of the objects due to interaction.