Unit #1 – A Nation is Born
Chapter #2 – Growth & Conflict (1789-1877)
Section #4 – The Civil War
Unit S.M.A.R.T. Goal:
Students will understand the United States’s growth rate during this period with 90% accuracy in 3 of 4 trials.
Students will be analyzing and questioning the events of the U.S. History Reconstruction period through Costas Levels of Thinking and Questioning of videographic evidence.
Behavioral Norms (Student Developed):
1. “Only one person talks at a time” – Noah (23 votes – approved)
2. “Respect others opinions/ideas” – Rob (31 votes – approved)
3. “Stay on task” – Andrea ( 27 votes – approved)
Civil (war), habeas corpus, dysentery, measles, amputation, musket, soldier, Confederacy, states rights, emancipation (proclamation), commander, battle, freed men, rations, army, casualty, nullification, Union, copperhead, national supremacy, conscription, ironclad
Task #1 – Based on previous assignments and assessments students need more work with developing higher level thinking questions. Today we will be wrapping up the Civil War Reconstruction period. Lets start off with some sample questions together and then you will be developing your own.
Task #2 – Use a lined piece of paper to write and answer the following questions as they come up in the material.
- Prioritize the top three needs of the country now that President Lincoln is dead. Defend your position.
- What evidence can you find to support why it was wise for Kate to flee her families plantation in the middle of the night?
- Union General Sherman and President Lincoln’s Secretary of War Mr. Stanton ask you to dinner as a freed slave to ask your opinion about what is to be done to help former slaves. Propose a solution designed to give freed slaves options and purpose.
- Predict U.S. citizens reaction to Special Field Order 15 by General Sherman. How would you improve this order so that it could be better received by the public.
- What is the theme of the St. Catherine’s Island settlement?
Task #3 – Now you will be writing your own questions using my examples as a guide of the minimum standard of questions you should be developing.
Rabbit Trail – How accurate was the film SELMA? Best Answer click HERE
Make sure you are working on your questions. You are gaining more evidence to work with each day. To download a copy of the questions use the link below.
Downloadable File -> Civil War Unit – Main Question & Focus Questions