The worst of the flu is over I believe and I should be back tomorrow. Today I want you to use a piece of copy paper from up in the front of the room, or in the event that there is none a lined piece of paper, to create a timeline as a reference tool. Your timeline will focus on the causes of the Civil War and the main events during the war. I have posted some resources for you for this project below. Fair warning though I am giving you more information than you will need. This will be an exercise in determining what events are truly important to remember.
Timeline Project Resources:
Website – Causes of the Civil War Timeline
Website – Civil War Timeline – History Place
If you finish this activity early then you can start back in on answering our 10 focus questions for this unit. Remember for each of these questions I want a minimum four sentence response. One claim sentence followed by three sentences of support. I have posted our 10 focus questions again below in case you need them again.
Civil War Focus Questions
- Was the Civil War (CW) a war for national supremacy, to end slavery, or another reason?
- What parts of society were involved in the CW? And how?
- How was the CW fought?
- How were civilians affected by the CW? What were the roles of slaves, free blacks, and women?
- How were battles fought?
- Who were the central figures during the CW?
- How did artists depict the CW? (Photographers, political cartoonists, etc.)
- What were the key battles?
- How did both sides motivate support for the war? (Positive and negative)
- What was the outcome of the Civil War?